Thursday, June 26, 2008

Do For Others Thursday


When I was in college, I had this ridiculous part time job in the mall. I got about 12-15 hours per week. It was tough finding part time work in the area, as the college was a huge percentage of the town's population.


I remember I had 11 bucks in my checking account. This had to feed me for a week and put gas in my car. I am sure I had some food at my apartment (Thank God for mom and dad loading me up with groceries whenever I came home).


My boss calls before I was due into work and tells me to bring donuts and juice in when I come, because the big wigs from corporate were there. Ugh. She was always telling us to do stuff like this, saying she'd pay us for it when we got there, and then would tell us she had no cash but would bring it in the next time we worked. It never seemed to appear.


But, I need the stupid job so I go to buy the donuts and juice. I'm waiting in line and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to live on the 5 bucks I'll have left. I get up to be rung up, and the kid says my total is six dollars and something. I go to write the check and he says, "The man that was two ahead of you left me ten bucks to pay for your groceries."


WHAT??? Do I actually LOOK as destitute as I feel??? I'm clean, my clothes look nice for work, my hair and make up are done.


No, it was just a really nice man. He was long gone by the time I was helped, so I never got to thank him. What a wonderful person. I wish I knew who he was.


So that's my good deed story for this week. What can you do this week to help another person???

No comments: